Drama Day 2016
Denver School of the Arts – Department of Theatre invites you to come for a day of theatre games and workshops. Meet other students who have interests in theatre and explore who you are.
Drama Day will take place on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 from 8:00 AM (registration and sign-in begins) to 2:00 PM. Open to any student in 3rd-6th grade!
Drama Day Classes
Workshops typically consist of topics and classes in the following areas:
- Hip Hop Dance: learn basic steps and a short dance sequence.
- Musical Theatre: learn 16 bars of a dance that would replicate an audition for a musical.
- Stage Combat: learn basic slaps, hits, and falls to use on stage.
- Improv: explore and play several improv games.
- Playwriting: explore the ease of free writing and how easy creating a new play can be.
- Physical Acting: bring a prepared monologue for this workshop and build a character through leading centers, postures, walk, and sitting.
- Make-up: learn fundamentals of stage make-up and how to make realistic bruises.
- Dialects: explore New York, British, and Irish dialects.
- Shakespeare: an intro to interpreting and acting the Bard’s text, especially helpful for students who participate in the DPS Shakespeare Festival.
- Vocal Master Class: bring a PREPARED song with sheet music—students wil sing their song and get feedback.
- Technical Theatre: explore tech with basic introduction to costumes.
- Duet Scene Coaching: prepared scenes will be critiqued.
- Monologue Coaching: one-on-one coaching for a PREPARED and MEMORIZED monologue—perfect for getting an audition monologue ready.
Seniors and Juniors of the DSA Theatre major will teach all workshops. An adult chaperone is present in all workshops.